Friday 12 June 2015

Combe Martin to Woolacombe 14

This was an easy day for me as I walked as far as Ilfracombe with Margaret and then set her free to walk the rest of the way to Woolacombe as I had done this section before. There were some good views looking back to yesterday's walk.



And more views looking towards Ilfracombe.
 Yes we did have to go up that hill first but on the plus side we got a good view of Ilfracombe from the top.

 The statue at the end of the harbour is the rather controversial  'Verity' by Damien Hirst which is on loan for 20 years. It does seem rather out of place here in my opinion.
 Margaret left me here and set off for Woolacombe while I checked out the bus to Woolacombe, had my lunch on the harbour and had an ice cream. Anyone would think I was on holiday!
I came across Henry Williamson's house, who wrote Tarka the Otter, while I was wandering around.
The weather today was rather sultry and rain had been forecast for later in the day. By the time I arrived in Woolacombe it was starting to cloud over but I walked up to Morthoe with the intention of meeting up with Margaret there.
Morte point
 I got this far and then the rain started and Margaret texted me to say go to the B&B so I did as I was told. Poor Margaret had a couple of hours of rain while I had a nice cup of tea looking at the view from our window.
View from our room at the Imperial
This was the best B&B we had stayed in so far and the worst weather unfortunately. By the time we had eaten at the Tide Inn the rain had almost stopped so we had a bit of a wander round. The hotel we had stayed in with CHA in 2002 is being converted into apartments but otherwise not much had changed.
Woolacombe beach is magnificent but we weren't inspired to go paddling on this occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment